Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Social Class in America

Tammy's Story Video Link
So for class on Monday, we were assigned to watch videos that showed different social classes and how people felt about the class they were in. It was really sad watching "Tammy's Story" when her son was so embarrassed of his own family. He didn't like bringing people over to their house because he was ashamed of where he lived and his family. Tammy, the mom, walked 10 miles to work everyday to Burger King to try and provide for her family. She said that all she wanted in life was to be happy, but she wasn't because of the way people treated her. Her son on the other hand had one desire, to be a higher social class. He wanted to be considered 'popular and cool' so bad. I think this is such a sad situation where no one is happy. I think one way to improve their situation would be to try and take care of the things they have. Clean themselves up and maybe clean up their trailer and try to get rid of the surrounding trash they have compiled.

After watching this video, it would be discouraging for Tammy to hear from a woman in the video "How to Marry the Rich" that it would take a lifetime to move up social classes. In this video they talked all about how to walk the walk and talk the talk. Upper class apparently know when lower class are intimidated and don't feel up to par. The woman in the video trying to become a higher class said that she didn't like the feeling of being a lower class at a country club. I think that you are where you are in life for a reason. Those who aren't rich and aren't prideful are being blessed from God. They go through different hardships in life such as saving money and trying to make ends meet. Those who are rich have the trial of staying humble and not turning into a prideful snob. I think that there are many people in life who are successful and have nice things and are still great people, but I think that would be a challenge for them. To not focus on the worldly things and material things and try to have a gospel perspective.

I would say I grew up in a middle class family where I was taught to work and I learned to love serving. My parents always taught us gospel principles and tried to raise us righteously. I think that I was very blessed to grow up in the circumstances that I did and with my family. I love them so much and I know that God put us together for a reason. We are all here to help each other out to reach our overall eternal goal of living again with our Heavenly Father. It doesn't matter where we were born, how big or small our house is, if we are famous or a farmer, or how we dress, we are all God's children and brothers and sisters. God loves us all the same, and we should not classify ourselves higher or lower than any other person. We should look at each other through God's eyes as equals and not judge. This assignment was very eye opening for me and definitely made me appreciate my life and circumstances so much more.

No comments:

Post a Comment