Monday, November 14, 2011

Communication

This week is all about communication and I am so excited to learn more about it. Today we talked about the different ways we communicate to each other. I thought it was so interesting that around 50% of the communicating we do is non-verbally. We use different codes to get messages across to each other. For example, my husband will squeeze my hand three times if he wants to tell me he loves me. There are so many little ways that we communicate to each other that we don't even realize. We have protocols or rules that happen when we see someone in particular. For example, we may greet some of our family members with a front hug and we may greet some with a side hug. Some people are not comfortable with that much physical touch so we may greet them with a handshake instead. There are different ways we communicate with everyone we know.

I really liked how we talked about the fact that we need to communicate so that we aren't misunderstood. Brother Williams said today that sarcasm is one of the most dangerous forms of communication and I believe it. You are sending two messages. The one you verbally say is the one you often times don't mean. It can be very hurtful and confusing for some if you are sarcastic with them. President Gordon B. Hinckley had some advice on this topic.

"My plea is that we stop seeking out the storms and enjoy more fully the sunlight...I am asking that we look a little deeper for the good, that we still our voices of insult and sarcasm, that we more generously compliment and endorse virtue and effort."

With this counsel we can try to focus on being more genuine with our communications with others. We need to be authentic and clear so that others can understand the messages we are sending. Communication is a huge part to marriage and it is definitely something you want to have a good base of before you get married. My husband and I would spend hours talking on our dates and I am so grateful that we have a good way of communicate to each other and that we can understand what we are both trying to say.


No comments:

Post a Comment